It's Assignment time!
Make a list of your dog's triggers and beside each one, note their threshold (approximate). Be specific!
Here's an example:
- Large dogs (walking away) = 20ft
- Large dogs (walking towards) = 40ft
- Small dogs (walking away) = 8ft
- Small dogs (walking towards) = 20ft
- All dogs (barking) = 50ft
- People (making eye contact / talking to us) = 15ft
- People (walking away) = 10ft
- People walking towards (ignoring us) = 15ft
- Squirrels = 30ft
Let's prep some high-value food for training:
Get out there and find some triggers at a safe distance and give this exercise a try! Short and sweet. Longer sessions are not as effective as short/safe exposures with fabulous associations.
Do you have a dog who has to bark back at other dogs when they bark? Let's play the Bark Bonus game whenever it fits! It's a blast to watch Salinger orient to me instantly when he hears a dog bark. Talk about conditioning!