We all love to think that puppyhood is full of sunshine, (Xylitol-free) lollipops, and rainbows…but I’m going to be honest with you – it is hard! You’re might occasionally be left wondering if you made the right decision.
You did. Having a dog is a most wonderful experience and you are going to get through this.
The Puppy Blues are a very real thing. Similar to postpartum depression, the puppy blues are a common occurrence in the first couple of months after adopting a pup…especially for first time dog-guardians.
What does it look like?
You might feel tired, frustrated, hopeless, confused and conflicted, and even sad and resentful. Some couples or families even start arguing more as tensions rise around how to raise a puppy consistently. Sleep-deprivation makes everything ten times worse, doesn’t it?
What can you do about it?
If you’re experiencing the blues, know that it’s normal and it will pass, but you don’t have to sit around waiting for it to pass – you can do something about it. Here are some ideas:
- Prioritise your mental health: reach out to a trusted friend or counsellor to let your feelings out. Write – get it on paper and tear it up afterwards. Join a support group (oh hey – you’ve got one!) and lean on like-minded people who lift you up.
- Put someone you trust in charge of your dog for a couple of hours and get away. Take a walk in nature, window shop, grab a coffee and sit in the park, meet a friend for lunch, treat yourself.
- Get educated! Come back here and into our Community to learn new strategies and get the support you signed up for! If something isn’t working, we’ll get creative. Lean on me!
Things to keep in mind:
- You are not a bad person for feeling how you feel.
- You WILL bond with your dog – it takes time like all bonds do.
- Taking it out on your puppy or your loved ones will make it worse – get support.
- Be patient with yourself – you are learning to raise a different species and you’re surrounded by conflicting information. It’s not easy.
Please don’t isolate yourself. Reach out – you’ve got this course, the Community, the live Q&As as well as a ton of live training replays in the archive.
I’ve got your back!
In this module, we’re going to cover all the typical challenges that you will go through. There are strategies in there and more detailed courses to work through, but please remember: If something isn’t working, we’ll get creative. Lean on me!